Michael Johnston suggested this excerpt from “Spring Song,” a work for the organ written by Will C. McFarlane in 1914. (It was the second in a pair of works that also included “Reverie”.) This piece was designed to be easily playable by organists with a minimal level of technique such as church organists and community performers. It spans a fairly wide pitch range, and shows how proportional-pitch, chromatic-staff notation systems represent such a wide pitch range from a fairly common instance of traditional notation.
In Traditional Notation
In Various Alternative Notation Systems
Click the links to see the PDF file for each alternative notation system.
- Drielijn by Pierre Hendrixs (PDF)
- Express Stave by John Keller (PDF)
- Express Stave, Reverse Colour Version, by John Keller (PDF)
- TwinNote by Paul Morris (PDF)
- TwinNote TD (Traditional Duration) by Paul Morris (PDF)
Audio – Listen to the Excerpt